Jump to Topic:
Speaker McCarthy Caves to Far Right, Launches Baseless Partisan Impeachment
- President Biden is an honorable man. After a nine month “investigation,” extreme MAGA Republicans haven’t found a shred of evidence he has done anything wrong. But Speaker McCarthy has launched an extreme MAGA impeachment anyway.
- Speaker McCarthy is doing the bidding of former President Donald Trump and his allies like Marjorie Taylor Greene as petty, partisan revenge for Trump’s indictment by grand juries in four different jurisdictions.
- Because many Republicans have acknowledged they have no evidence to launch an impeachment, Speaker McCarthy won’t let Members vote on whether to launch an inquiry – even though he previously said blocking such a vote is “an abuse of power.”
- Extreme MAGA Republicans have done nothing to make life better or more affordable for everyday Americans. Their impeachment sham is an attempt to distract the American people from this track record of failure.
- Everyday Americans deserve better than these political games. House Democrats continue to extend the hand of partnership to work together to lower costs, grow the middle class, and protect our fundamental freedoms.
Debunking the Lies
Extreme MAGA Republicans Threatening Government Shutdown
- The Republican majority is an extreme group that has done nothing this Congress to improve the lives of the American people. Now they are threatening a government shutdown that would hurt working families and endanger our national security.
- Extreme MAGA Republicans in the House of Representatives are on an island by themselves seeking to force harsh cuts to investments that families are counting on like health care, child care, education, food assistance and much more.
- Extreme MAGA Republicans are making outrageous new demands like a ban on medication abortion – and marching toward shutting down the government unless they can force through their right-wing agenda.
- An extreme MAGA Republican shutdown is the height of irresponsibility and will have devastating consequences: interrupting critical government services, hurting small businesses, and even forcing our troops to serve without pay.
- House Democrats are going to continue to focus on delivering for everyday Americans and making a difference in their lives. We are committed to extending government funding and addressing urgent needs across the country, including responding to natural disasters and protecting our national security.
If MAGA Republicans really cared about cutting spending and lowering the deficit, they would stop protecting tax breaks for the rich and corporations.
- MAGA Republicans want to cut spending on working families, but have no problem spending trillions on tax cuts for the rich.
- Republican tax cuts enacted under Presidents Bush and Trump—which handed the benefits mostly to the rich and corporations—created most of the national debt in this century.
- The Bush tax cuts, their extensions, and the Trump tax cuts have already cost us $10 trillion since 2001.
MAGA Republicans are trying to cut spending on programs for working families in order to pay for their $1.9 trillion Trump-GOP Tax Scam giveaway that mostly benefits the wealthy and corporations.
- Democrats warned in 2017 that the Trump-GOP tax cuts for the rich and corporations would blow up the deficit, and that Republicans would place the blame on programs and services for working families. Now that prediction is coming true.
While MAGA Republicans complain about “spending” on programs for working families, they’re the ones trying to extend the Trump-GOP Tax Scam, which could cost up to $4 trillion.
- Extending Trump-GOP tax cuts would disproportionately benefit the wealthy. Households with incomes over $4.5 million would get an average tax cut of $175,000 in the first year alone. Households making less than $50,000 a year would get an average tax cut of less than $200—about 50 cents a day. Most families would get less than a dollar a day.
- A partial extension already approved by the GOP-controlled House tax-writing committee would give the top 1% an average tax cut next year of over $16,000. The poorest fifth of Americans would get just $40. Foreign investors would walk away with almost $24 billion in U.S. tax savings.
MAGA Republicans are making IRS funding a key point in the shutdown fight—they’re trying to slash $67 billion of the $80 billion in restored IRS funding from the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Their priority is to protect wealthy tax cheats from paying what they owe, keep making it easy for tax-prep companies to overcharge customers by killing a free-filing system, and undermine customer service for honest taxpayers just as it was starting to improve.
- Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act, the IRS has already collected $38 million from 175+ rich tax cheats and answered 2.4 million more taxpayer calls than in previous years. That’s the progress Republicans are fighting to undo.
MAGA Republicans are pushing the same tired trickle-down economics that’s failed America’s working families for the past forty years.
Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations just make the rich richer—they don’t “trickle down” to workers.
By starving our economy of public resources, trickle-down tax cuts threaten investments in working families.
Democrats are leading an economic recovery by investing in working people, instead of handing the wealthy more tax cuts. They’re growing the economy from the bottom up and the middle out.
Extreme MAGA Republicans Attack Environmental Protections, American Workers
- Instead of funding critical government services, House Republicans are spending this week on legislation that increases pollution and kills American jobs.
- House Democrats are working for clean air and clean water for our kids. Meanwhile, extreme MAGA Republicans are weakening environmental protections and slowing the fight against climate change.
- This extreme MAGA Republican bill creates confusion and chaos, stops innovation, and ultimately hurts union workers in America’s auto industry.
Democrats Put People Over Politics
- While extreme MAGA Republicans play political games and threaten to shut down our government, Democrats are putting People Over Politics to grow the middle class.
- Democrats are lowering costs for working families. For the first time ever, we are forcing Big Pharma to negotiate lower drug prices. We capped the price of insulin for seniors at $35 and reduced what families pay for health insurance. And we continue to fight special interests to stop big corporations from ripping off everyday Americans.
- Democrats are growing the middle class. We have invested in America by bringing supply chains back home, fixing our roads and bridges, and delivering clean water and high-speed internet to more communities. We’ve also made the largest investment ever in clean, secure American energy. Democratic policies have created more than 13.5 million jobs since President Biden took office.
- Democrats are working to make our communities safer and defend our freedoms. We are committed to building on the gun safety legislation we passed last year to protect America’s kids. And we continue to fight for reproductive freedom and LGBTQ+ rights.
Supporting UAW Workers And Their Right to Strike
Unions are a critical part of the middle class, and President Biden is one of the most pro-labor presidents we’ve seen in generations. UAW workers – not large corporations and executives who have seen their pay skyrocket in the past decade – should get the wages they deserve. The Big Three need to negotiate a deal to end the strike.
Talking points on the strike:
- The failure of the Big Three – General Motors, Stellantis and Ford – to prevent a strike by putting forward contracts that do NOT do right by their workers and support a just transition to electric vehicles (EVs) is shameful and immoral.
- The auto industry and the Big Three – owe a great deal to the UAW. Their members kept these companies running for decades, and aren’t being paid enough to afford the very cars that they’ve built. UAW workers are the people who build engines, install your car’s amazing sound system, and and double check that the anti-lock brakes work.
- For generations the UAW has fought to make sure good-paying auto jobs are a vehicle to America’s middle class–we can’t lose that.
- When the Great Recession hit in 2008, the Obama administration stepped in to keep the auto industry afloat and worked on a rescue package with the UAW and the Big Three that pumped significant federal investments into these companies to keep them afloat. As part of those negotiations, the UAW also agreed to major concessions, including creating a two-tier system that allowed for many new workers to be paid considerably less than others.
- Those days are in the rear view mirror, but auto workers are continuing to be punished with concessionary business practices that were agreed to under the threat of bankruptcy.
- American automakers made hundreds of billions in profits over the past decade. And they are now benefiting from federal support again, this time to help the transition to electric vehicles.
- During that period of time, CEO pay has gone up 40%. Stellanis’ CEO – who has threatened the job security of his employees over these strikes – made $25 million in 2022 when his company reported $12 billion in profit in the first half of 2022. Meanwhile, automakers are charging more and more for their cars, and paying their workers less and less.
- This is corporate greed at its worst. The Big Three are kicking dirt in the face of American workers and undermining the transition to clean vehicles while enriching shareholders and executives, and it needs to stop.
- We should also be clear – to anyone who suggests that now isn’t the time to raise wages because of inflation, there is no evidence of wages driving up prices in the economy. Inflation is coming down and it’s critical that workers – not corporate CEOs who have seen their pay skyrocket the past few years – finally get the pay they deserve.
- An American-made car should mean something more than the miles a person puts on it. It should mean good, middle class jobs and stable communities for the people who make the parts and assemble the vehicle. Generations of American families have enjoyed the benefits of a middle-class life thanks to those family-sustaining jobs secured by the UAW. The Big Three have a responsibility to maintain this promise.
- As President Joe Biden said recently, now is the time for the Big Three to work with the UAW, step up for hardworking Americans, support our country’s competitive standing in the world – and help fight the climate crisis.
Talking points on the Biden administration, UAW negotiations and the economy:
- As President Biden has repeatedly said, he is the most pro-union president our nation has seen in generations. UAW workers are a huge part of the middle class, and the Big Three have a responsibility to negotiate a deal to end this strike, provide workers the wages they deserve, and put the American auto industry on the map for decades to come.
- President Biden’s strong labor market has given workers more power to negotiate for better wages and working conditions, and we’ve seen a number of tremendous success stories this year. Just look at the recent contracts giving pay raises to UPS workers, airline pilots, and more.
- It’s clear that the Biden administration knows that when the middle class does well, everyone does better. That’s why the administration is laser focused on cutting the cost of living, making things more affordable and cracking down on corporate greed. And it’s having an impact:
- Since August of last year, over 190 clean energy projects have been created, creating over 142,000 new jobs. Experts predict it could create over 1 million new good paying jobs.
- Inflation is less than half of what it was last year.
- More than 13.5 million jobs have been created since President Biden took office, and the unemployment rate remains near historic lows.
- Among leading economies, the United States has had the fastest economic recovery and currently has the lowest level of inflation.
- It’s why survey after survey shows consumer confidence is on the rise and the risk of recession is down.
- The Biden administration is also working to help protect good-paying and union jobs in America, investing in the American people and ensuring the wealthy and large corporations finally pay their fair share.
- This stands in stark contrast with MAGA Republicans.
- MAGA Republicans want to overturn the Inflation Reduction Act and other economic policies passed under the Biden administration that are lowering costs for the middle class. They want to double down on policies like the $1.9 trillion tax giveaway to the wealthy and large corporations that they passed under the Trump administration. It’s been reported former President Trump’s advisors are discussing a new proposal to give even more giveaways to big corporations and implement a new 10 percent tariff on all imports that would drive up prices.
- And they’re threatening a government shutdown that would have devastating consequences for our economy unless the House impeaches Joe Biden for no reason.
- It’s clear MAGA Republicans can’t be trusted with the economy. It’s imperative we make that clear to the public and show that Biden administration policies are working.
- Investing in the American people and protecting unions
- Lowering costs by cracking down on corporate greed
- Protecting and strengthening retirement security
- Making corporations and the wealthy pay what they owe
- Gutting investments families depend on
- Protecting corporations that rip-off families
- Cutting Social Security and Medicare
- Giving corporations and the wealthy special tax breaks