FACT SHEET: MAGA Republicans Are Defending Trump At All Costs
Republicans Claim They Are Working To “Investigate The Investigators” By Probing The Special Counsel Overseeing Trump’s Case. Shortly after Trump’s indictment, Jordan sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland demanding sensitive information about the prosecution, including a sensitive memo detailing special counsel Jack Smith’s appointment months ago. Days later, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) sent another letter to Garland demanding the public release of a full list of the special counsel’s staff, including “phone lists, or similar records.”
MAGA Republicans Are Calling To Defund Federal Law Enforcement. In the wake of Trump’s federal indictment, MAGA Republicans are repeating earlier calls to defund federal law enforcement agencies like the Justice Department:
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA): “This morning, I’m writing an appropriations rider to DEFUND Special Counsel Jack Smith’s office and entire investigation. I will not vote for ANY appropriations bill to fund the weaponization of government. I hope every one of my Republican colleagues will join me.” [Twitter, 6/12/23]
- Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN): “We need to bring them down before the committee and if not they need to- at some point we need to talk about cutting their funding…this group is out of control, they’re rogue.” [Newsmax, 6/12/23, VIDEO]
- Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ): “We ought to defund and dismantle the DOJ. I stand with President Trump. [Twitter, 6/8/23]
Far-Right House Republicans Hosted A Press Conference About January 6th During Trump’s Arrest Hearing, Decrying The DOJ. At the exact same time as Trump’s scheduled federal arraignment and arrest on 37 felony counts, a group of far-right House Republicans including Matt Gaetz (R-FL), Paul Gosar (R-AZ), Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), Ralph Norman (R-VA) hosted a press conference described as a “field hearing” at the Capitol attacking the DOJ for prosecuting January 6th defendants.
- Numerous MAGA Republicans Who Led The Press Conference Were Election Deniers Who Played A Key Role In Efforts To Undermine The 2020 Election. Many House Republicans have been calling the indictment a form of “election interference” — even though the very same Republicans leading this press conference were key in efforts to undermine the 2020 election: “the December 21 meeting was part of an effort to “disseminate his false claims and to encourage members of the public to fight the outcome on January 6.” […] Six of the attendees of the December 21, 2020, meeting — Biggs, Brooks, Gaetz, Gohmert, Greene, and Perry — sought pardons [from Trump in the final days of his administration].”
- The MAGA “Hearing” Featured Jeff Clark, Who Schemed With Trump To Overturn The 2020 Election. The MAGA press conference featured Jeff Clark, an extreme election-denying witness who schemed with Trump to encourage state legislatures to overturn the 2020 election results. Last year, federal law enforcement authorities searched Clark’s home and seized his electronic devices as part of a criminal investigation into possible violations of laws related to false statements, conspiracy and obstruction of justice.
Far-Right Senator J.D. Vance (R-OH) Is Threatening To Hold All Future DOJ Nominees In Retaliation For Trump’s Indictment and Arrest. Just minutes after Trump was officially arrested by federal law enforcement officials, Vance released a video announcing plans to place on hold all Biden administration nominees for the Justice Department: “If Merrick Garland wants to use these officials to harass Joe Biden’s political opponents, we will grind his department to a halt.”
House Republicans Intervened In Trump’s First Indictment In Manhattan Just A Few Months Ago. MAGA Republicans are only continuing a pattern of defending Trump at all costs against legitimate investigations. In late March 2023, former President Trump was indicted on felony tax charges by the Manhattan district attorney. Shortly after, Jim Jordan sent two letters demanding information about the charges and later held a partisan stunt field hearing attacking the prosecutor. Meanwhile, other Republicans pushed for a full investigation of the Manhattan district attorney’s office while Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) introduced legislation prohibiting state and local law enforcement agencies from using certain federal funds or property seized through asset forfeiture to investigate Presidential or Vice Presidential candidates.
Annual inflation at the lowest level in more than 2 years
We are making progress fighting inflation—which is good news for hardworking families.
- Annual inflation is at the lowest level in more than 2 years—since March 2021.
- Annual inflation has fallen for 11 months—and is less than half what it was last June.
- Wagers rose over the last year—accounting for inflation.
- Gas prices are down about $1.40 from their peak after Putin’s war.
- Energy prices fell 11% over the last year.
- Grocery prices are trending down—egg prices down nearly 30% since January.
The President is lowering costs for families and investing in America to build the economy from the middle out and the bottom up.
- Taking on Big Pharma to lower prescription drug costs and cap insulin at $35 a month.
- Investing in clean energy to lower energy bills.
- More than 13 million jobs created and unemployment under 4% for 16 months.
- Spurring investments in manufacturing and clean energy—with more than $470 billion in private sector investments.
- Supporting small businesses, with more than 10 million small business applications.
House Republicans have a different, trickle-down approach that would:
- Give handouts to rich special interests and big corporations that would increase the debt by hundreds of billions.
- Just weeks after they demanded devastating cuts to programs hard-working Americans count on—from health care to education to Meals on Wheels.
- While repealing investments that are fueling our manufacturing resurgence, creating jobs, and lowering energy costs for working families.
Messaging Toplines Democratic Policy and Communications Committee
- Extreme MAGA Republicans have taken over the House and are demonstrating that they are completely unable to govern. Their infighting meant that they were forced to leave Washington without doing any meaningful work for an entire week.
- And just the week before, extreme MAGA Republicans were unable to get the votes to prevent a devastating default on our debt. House Democrats stepped in and saved our economy from their chaos and confusion.
- The utter dysfunction on display from extreme MAGA Republicans means that real problems facing everyday Americans, like lowering costs and making our communities safer, are being ignored.
- House Republicans are proving once again that they have nothing to offer working families except political games to try to divide and distract Americans from their extreme MAGA agenda, including the GOP Tax Scam 2.0.
- Just a week after the GOP’s Manufactured Default Crisis where Republicans brought our nation to the brink of economic ruin, Republicans introduced the GOP Tax Scam 2.0—setting the stage for trillions in tax cuts for billions and corporations.
- Extreme MAGA Republicans’ agenda is completely out of step with what the American people want Congress to focus on.
- In addition to the bills they failed to bring to the floor last week, extreme MAGA Republicans are planning to bring a Stabilizing Brace CRA to the floor this week to make it easier for mass shooters to access the gun accessories and weapons of war fueling America’s gun violence epidemic.
- Meanwhile, Democrats are fighting to defend everyone’s right to live their lives without the threat of gun violence upending their lives, make their own reproductive health care decisions and to protect same-sex marriage and the rights of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Leader Jeffries: “Democrats: Team Reasonable, Team Normal and Team Get Stuff Done. Republicans: Team Chaos, Team Dysfunction and Team Extreme.”
- Leader Jeffries on MSNBC PoliticsNation with Rev. Al Sharpton where he highlighted that House Democrats remain committed to putting People Over Politics while extreme MAGA Republicans lean into lawlessness and disorder.
- Schumer, Jeffries Joint Statement on the Federal Indictment of Donald Trump
- Leader Jeffries Statement on the Supreme Court Decision in Allen V. Milligan