Avoiding a GOP Manufactured Debt Crisis: Social Media Toolkit
- A dangerous default is not an option.
- Monday’s announcement from Secretary Yellen highlights the high stakes for American families as extreme MAGA Republicans engineer a default on America’s debt for the first time in our history.
- We know that a default would have catastrophic impacts on our economy and for all families, plunging our nation into a recession, driving up unemployment and crashing the stock market.
- That’s why House Democrats are taking a responsible step to keep our legislative options open.The fact remains that Republicans urgently need to join us and pass bipartisan legislation to pay America’s bills without extreme conditions. They started this default crisis and they need to end it for the good of the country.
- The US is not a deadbeat nation. We have never failed to pay our bills.
- Congress has worked to prevent default 78 times since 1960, including 3 times under Trump.
- The President will tell Congressional leaders at the White House this week that they must act quickly to avoid default without conditions, and discuss a separate process on budget and appropriations.
- The President has laid out a plan to grow the economy and cut the deficit by nearly $3 trillion over 10 years, including by cutting wasteful spending on big pharma and big oil.
- House Republicans’ bill cuts 60,000 teachers, hurting 25 million kids; cuts 30 million veterans health visits and increases the disability claims backlog by 130,000; eliminates 2,000 border agents which would allow 900 pounds of fentanyl into the country; and threatens health care for nearly 21 million Americans. All to pay for their tax cuts for billionaires and profitable corporations.
The consensus is clear – A GOP-manufactured default would inflict significant hardship on everyday Americans across the country, including those living in districts represented by Extreme MAGA Republicans.
- Anthony D’Esposito (NY-04): A disastrous default would jeopardize Social Security payments for nearly 90,000 families in his district. Older Americans on Long Island deserve better.
- Mike Garcia (CA-27): A disastrous default would put health benefits at risk for 267,000 people in CA-27. Does Rep. Garcia care about his constituents’ access to health care?
- Mike Lawler (NY-17): A disastrous default would cut 7300 jobs in NY-17. This would inflict significant harm on the communities that Rep. Lawler was elected to represent.
- David Schweikert (AZ-01): A disastrous default would jeopardize Social Security payments for 109,000 families in Rep. Schweikert’s district. How would he explain that to his constituents?
- Lori Chavez-DeRemer (OR-05): A disastrous default would threaten the retirement savings of over 90,000 people near retirement age in OR-05. Everyday Oregonians shouldn’t have to bear this kind of financial uncertainty.
The above are just a few examples. To see hundreds more, click HERE to find the impact of a GOP-Manufactured default on any Congressional District in the country.
Additional resources that highlight the devastating impacts of the Default On America Act
- Center for American Progress’ overview of how Republicans’ bill would gut the Inflation Reduction Act which created ‘construction and manufacturing jobs, strengthen domestic supply chains, reduce household costs, and much more.’
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) highlights how establishing work-requirements for Medicaid does not work and estimates that ‘over 10 million Medicaid expansion enrollees — more than 1 in 5 of all Medicaid enrollees in expansion states’. CBPP also covers how the Default on American Act would take food away from America’s seniors and America’s families and children.
- Joint Economic Committee’s Report on the Impact of Default.
- Moody’s Analytics Analysis of Default on America Act.
- Ranking Member DeLauro’s MSNBC’s opinion piece on Republicans’ extreme position. Additional resources on how the DOA hurts seniors, weakens our national security, undermines American workers, endangers public safety and beyond can be found here.
- The Student Borrower Protection Center’s memo on how the bill’s end to the payment pause and prohibition of President Biden’s student debt relief plan will create chaos for millions.
- Third Way’s Analysis of how ‘The Republican Debt Limit Plan Will Devastate Public Safety’.